- 1 Who recorded Rapper’s Delight in 1979?
- 2 What was the first rap song ever recorded?
- 3 Who really wrote Rappers Delight?
- 4 Why is rapper’s Delight important?
- 5 How many versions of rapper’s Delight are there?
- 6 Who was the first rapper to win a Grammy?
- 7 Who is the richest rapper?
- 8 Who is the best rapper in the world?
- 9 Who invented electro funk?
- 10 How long is Rappers Delight?
- 11 Who sings Rappers Delight?
Who recorded Rapper’s Delight in 1979?
Hip hop’s roots as a musical phenomenon are subject to debate, but its roots as a commercial phenomenon are much clearer. They trace back directly to January 5, 1980, when the song “Rapper’s Delight” became the first hip hop single ever to reach the Billboard top 40.
What was the first rap song ever recorded?
“Rapper’s Delight,“ released on Sugar Hill Records, may not have been first, but it is credited for introducing hip-hop music to a wide audience.
Who really wrote Rappers Delight?
DJ Kool Herc, a Jamaican DJ, is recognized as one of the earliest hip hop DJs and artists. Some credit him with officially originating hip hop music through his 1973 “Back to School Jam”.
Why is rapper’s Delight important?
The song “Rapper’s Delight” itself was termed the pioneer upon which the wide-scale influx of hip-hop to the larger market was built. Not that it was the first rap song released, but it was one of a kind, considering the overall reception to hip-hop music back in the day.
How many versions of rapper’s Delight are there?
There are three versions of the original version of the song: 14:35 (12″ long version), 6:30 (12″ short version), and 4:55 (7″ shortened single version). The song has sold over 2,500,000 copies worldwide.
Who was the first rapper to win a Grammy?
The first award for Best Rap Performance was presented to DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince (the vocal duo consisting of DJ Jazzy Jeff and Will Smith) for “Parents Just Don’t Understand”.
Who is the richest rapper?
The World’s Richest Rappers in 2021
- Kanye West (Net worth: $1.3 billion)
- Jay-Z (Net worth: $1 billion)
- Sean Combs (Net worth: $900 million)
- Eminem (Net worth: $230 million)
- Pharrell Williams (Net worth: $200 million)
- Master P (Net worth: $200 million)
- Drake (Net worth: $180 million)
Who is the best rapper in the world?
Without further ado, let’s get to it.
- Eminem. Album Sales (49.1m), №1 Albums (9), №1 Hits (5), №1 Rap Songs (4)
- Jay-Z. Album Sales (30.6m), №1 Albums (11), №1 Hits (4), №1 Rap Songs (13)
- Drake. Album Sales (12.1m), №1 Albums (7), №1 Hits (6), №1 Rap Songs (26)
- Kanye West.
- 50 Cent.
- Lil Wayne.
Who invented electro funk?
The genre emerged with musicians Arthur Baker, Afrika Bambaataa, Warp 9, and Hashim. Seminal electro tracks included “Planet Rock” (1982) and “Nunk” (1982), both featuring its characteristic TR-808 drum beats. The early 1980s were electro’s mainstream peak.
How long is Rappers Delight?
The “Rapper’s Delight” 12-inch was released in September 1979. It was 15 minutes long, and yet black radio started playing it — so much so that Sugarhill Gang recorded a seven-minute version for pop stations and introduced the black neighborhood sound of the 1970s to white listeners.
Who sings Rappers Delight?
The Sugarhill Gang wasn’t the first to borrow it – Queen used the bassline in their song “Another One Bites The Dust.” “Rapper’s Delight” didn’t just sample the beat; the string stabs were also lifted, so the entire “Delight” track was made up of pieces from the Chic song.